WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
1. Easy: This Baked Avocado Fries recipe is ready in just 3 easy steps: prepare the avocado, bread the avocado, and bake! This is a great recipe for beginners.
2. Quick: Prep takes no time at all, and then just allow the oven to do the hard work for you!
3. Texture: My favorite part! The outside of these avocado fries is crispy and super crunchy.
Inside is soft, smooth, and creamy. These fries are amazing!
4. Healthy: Avocado is one of the best fruits for you! Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins C, E, K, B6, and so much more, this naturally filling food is definitely one to add to your diet if it’s not already in there.
5. Kid-friendly: Not only do kids love to eat these healthy fries, but they also love to help prepare them too! Get the kids in the kitchen with you for some quality family time and teach them to cook delicious healthy food!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE AVOCADO FRIES:
Avocado: I used 2 large avocados. If you can only find small ones, about 4 should be perfect.
Lemon: Lemon adds a little flavour, but more importantly prevents the avocados from turning brown. I also added some lemon zest to really let the flavour shine.
Seasoning: These baked avocado fries are seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. The garlicky smokiness is so delicious! You could also use your favourite seasonings, herbs, and spices. Cajun seasoning or chili powder would both be excellent additions!
Flour: All-purpose flour is the base for the breading. Make sure you dip the avocado in flour first before the eggs or the breadcrumbs won’t stick!
Eggs: This is the second layer of the breading. It adheres very well to the flour and then the breadcrumbs stick like glue to the egg.
Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are ideal for this recipe, however, any breadcrumbs you have on hand should be fine.
Cooking oil spray: This is spayed over the avocado fries before baking to help them crisp up. Choose an oil spray without any extra ingredients for the healthiest option!
Garnish: Parsley finishes this dish with a burst of freshness. You can substitute cilantro or skip it altogether.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED AVOCADO FRIES:
1. Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Prepare your station: place the flour in a shallow dish, and whisk the eggs in a bowl. In a second dish, combine the breadcrumbs with seasonings.
3. Cut the avocado into 1/2” thick wedges. Squeeze over fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with lemon zest, salt, and pepper, to taste. Gently coat each piece with the lemon juice, to prevent it from browning.
4. Dredge the avocado wedges in flour, then dip them into the beaten eggs.
5. Transfer to the bread crumb mixture and completely coat on all sides.
6. Place the coated avocado fries on the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking oil
7. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until brown and crispy.